The First Step in Finding Your Authentic Style
One of the first things I have my clients do before we dive into finding their authentic style is to perform a closet detox and overhaul. We are constantly struggling to be stylish, trying to put together new and improved outfits, but instead, we end up feeling overwhelmed and inefficient.
Performing a closet detox is a first critical step because you need to determine what is clutter in your closet (meaning, what are you holding on to that you need to get rid of), what order your clothes are hanging (so that your brain can easily process what you own), and removing items that are not in season so that they are not blocking your way to putting together that perfect in-season outfit.
I recently released a free Closet Detox Guide that provides a step-by-step system for successfully overhauling your closet for good. I provide links in the workbook and worksheets you can print and use during the process.
A few key points in detoxing your closet are:
- OMIT YOUR CLUTTER: RID YOURSELF OF ITEMS BY PURGING THEM. Go through everything in your closet and decide if there is anything you need to get rid of. If you haven’t worn it within the past few years, if it’s damaged/stained, or if it doesn’t t, it’s best to get rid of it. Donate or sell anything that is in good condition.
- STORING OFF SEASON CLOTHES AND SHOES. Stack your clothes loosely in the bins. I would avoid keeping items on hangers when storing them away. It's easier to keep them clean and free of the bad stuff when stored in bins properly. I recommend you NOT leave any off-season clothes within your current closet as it only confuses your brain and makes it more complicated for you when putting together outfits quickly.
- CLOSET OVERHAUL PROCESS. My suggestion is to organize dress to casual for both bottoms and tops. In the guide I go into great detail on this process.
- CLOSET OVERHAUL PROCESS-ORGANIZING SHOES AND ACCESSORIES. Store your shoes in either clear shoe boxes or shoe bins. Organize by shoe style. Hang belts and scarfs in your closet with hanging racks designed for these accessories.
- DO A HAPPY DANCE. You did it! That is a lot of effort, but the payoff will be worth it. You will see your clothes in a new way, and you will be able to process it much quicker when it comes to putting together an out t each day.
If you are interested in receiving the entire detailed step-by-step guide to overhauling your closet, go to www.storytellerstylist.com.
Carrie Hagee Carrie is a strong believer in the power of a positive self-image and helps women find their authentic style and tell their style story. She is the official FW 2019 LUXE Stylist, a Certified personal Stylist, Owner of Storyteller Stylist LLC, and columnist for LUXE Magazine. Photos by Leah Brady Photography. Makeup by Cincimakeup.
This article originally appeared in LUXE Magazine F/W 2019 Cbus Edition, page 54.
Excerpt from the original article by Lisa Robin Adkinson, designer of Lisa Robin Jewelry and co-founder of LUXE Gives Back, LLC. She is fulfilling a lifetime desire to be a writer, editor, and publisher through contributions to LUXE Magazine.